Everyone makes resolutions at the start of the new year. Losing weight, stop smoking, exercise more...we've all tried them. But how many of us stick with them? Let's change the conversation, let's go with goals instead of resolutions; focus more on what you want to accomplish rather than give up or sacrifice. Let's talk about what we want to GAIN this year rather than lose. But do you know how to set strategic goals? How about the next steps to achieve them? This is the first in a two-part series on goal setting and achieving; now let's get going!
Here are a few questions and thoughts to get you started on setting your goals for the week/month/year. Remember that these can be small steps or big, glorious dreams. We like them both around here.
- What is your intention for the upcoming year? What do you want your life/business to look like in a year?
- How do you define success? Is it a monthly income goal, more time with your family, or the ability to work from the beach. Whatever it is, figure it out.
- What projects did you enjoy the most in 2015? What was it about it that you liked?
- Alternatively, what projects or clients were a drain on you? What was it about them that was an issue?
- What does your ideal workday look like?
- What is unique about you and your business? What can you offer that no one else does?
A few examples of goals we've set around here include attending 3 strategic networking events and conferences, guest blogging on a few of our favorite sites and attending 4 training classes or webinars. Use a site like Skillshare to find classes and trainings on just about any topic out there. We believe learning and expanding our knowledge base is a way to success!
Use these questions as starting points for your strategic goals; take your time really thinking about them and answer honestly. If you're stuck and can't get started, remember that we're great at brainstorming around here and would love an opportunity to get you going in the right direction. Let's chat!